Everton 0 Arsenal 1

Last updated : 08 November 2006 By Footymad Previewer
Graham Poll seems determined on a life of infamy after another shocking display stunned Goodison Park and helped condemn Everton to a second successive defeat.

In a markedly one-sided display of refereeing, he first denied Andy Johnson a penalty and seconds later sent off James McFadden for remarking on his dubious decision.

These were just two of many baffling decisions that left the home crowd baying for blood and marred Everton manager David Moyes' 200th game in charge of the Toffees.

Arsenal arrived on Merseyside displaying the abundance of young talent the so like to exhibit during cup games.

Wenger went with the same 4-4-2 line-up that disposed of West Brom in the last round, with youngster Theo Walcott filling the left-wing position and Jeremie Aliadiere and Emmanuel Adebayor forming the two-pronged attack.

Everton welcomed back Portuguese international Nuno Valente at left-back with Phil Neville continuing in the right-back role.

Any complacency Everton may have harboured about Wenger's young side was quickly extinguished in the opening exchanges.

It was Everton though who came closest to a goal in the opening exchanges as first McFadden and then Tim Cahill wasted good chances.

Alexandre Song was correctly booked in the 15th minute after obstructing Mikel Arteta before Aliadiere had the first real shot on target on after a great run, but saw his shot fizz wide.

After Poll's nightmare few seconds which effectively ruined a good cup tie, it was an aggrieved Everton who looked the more likely to score as a number of opportunities went begging.

The Gunners picked up the pace and began to pass more crisply as half-time drew near though and Moyes was probably glad to get his bedraggled side in even at the break after Tim Howard pulled off a couple of stunning saves to keep his side in it.

In the second half Poll compounded his earlier problems and further enraged the home crowd by refusing to caution Adebayor for a shocking two-footed tackle on Lee Carsley.

Despite Poll's best efforts though, the game was turning into a cracking affair with both sides looking for the win.

Ten-man Everton were putting on a sterling display, but the longer the game progressed the more they found themselves under the cosh as Arsenal's superior pace and passing began to look decisive.

When Arsenal's goal came it was a simple Adebayor header from Mathieu Flamini's free-kick five minutes before time that finally broke Everton's resistance.

This was a fine game of cup football, it is just a shame none of the headlines will reflect the effort of both sides…just one man.