Manchester United 0 Arsenal 0

Last updated : 16 May 2009 By Footymad Previewer
Manchester United clinched their 11th Premier League crown and equalled Liverpool's record of 18 titles following a tense goalless draw with Arsenal at Old Trafford.

The Red Devils virtually crawled over the finishing line in a game where the Gunners had the best chances to win.

This was the 11th title under manager Sir Alex Ferguson and the 11th for veteran midfield star Ryan Giggs, but this was a performance more akin to cheap pink than vintage champagne.

United, who needed only one point to clinch the championship, made hard work of their task.

But it would be churlish to be too critical of a team which has now added the Premier League title to the World Club Championship and Carling Cup.

This was United's 64th game of the season, with the Champions League Final against Barcelona coming up in Rome a week on Wednesday.

United began brightly with the surge of the red army behind them, but nerves and the effort of a gruelling 2-1 win at Wigan on Wednesday seemed to take it toll.

Such was United's lack of attacking prowess that Arsenal reserve goalkeeper Lukas Fabianski did not have a shot to save.

Wayne Rooney's 12th minute drive after Cristano Ronaldo supplied the cross from the right was deflected just over the bar off Arsenal defender Kolo Toure.

At the other end, Robin van Persie should have done better than put his looping header from Andriy Arshavin's right-wing cross high over the bar from ten yards.

Samir Nasri's deflected shot from just outside the United box went into the arms of goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar on the half hour.

United's Dutch goalkeeper was also forced to keep out another van Persie header and then held on to a fierce close-range effort from his compatriot.

But it was van Persie who got in the way of a goalbound shot from Cesc Fabregas in the closing seconds of the first half.

United's best chance of the first period fell for Giggs but he blasted his shot well wide following good work by Rooney.

After the interval, United were pushed further and further back as Arsenal sensed they could spoil the party.

Giggs missed a good chance on the hour and Ronaldo went close with a teasing 79th minute free-kick from the left corner of the penalty area which crawled narrowly wide of the far post.

But the most poignant incident came in the 67th minute when Carlos Tevez was given a rapturous ovation by United fans after being replaced by Ji-Sung Park.

As he left the pitch, the Argentinian seemed to waving a fond farewell to his adoring fans.

United's nerves were almost shredded six minutes from time when Alexandre Song stormed forward before delivering the ball to Fabregas on the left side of the box.

Arsenal's captain hit a fierce shot from 12 yards which was tipped onto the post by van der Sar.

But United survived and, as they say, the rest is history.