Womans Super League round-up

Last updated : 01 June 2013 By DSG

Thursday, 30 May

Arsenal defeated Bristol for the third time in 12 days, securing their first Super League victory of the season in a thrilling encounter at the Stoke Gifford Stadium.

Triumphs in the Continental Cup and Sunday's FA Women's Cup Final preceded the result, which was the Vixens' first defeat of the league campaign.

The Gunners went ahead in the 32nd minute when Steph Houghton struck for the second time in consecutive games, and that lead was doubled ten minutes later through Kim Little.

Bristol hit back two minutes into the second half when Natalia Sanchon's effort squirmed under Arsenal keeper Emma Byrne, but the visitors restored their two-goal cushion just four minutes later through Gilly Flaherty.

A red card was shown to Bristol's Grace McCatty in the 76th minute for bringing down Ellen White in the penalty box, but Little's resultant spot kick was saved by Siobhan Chamberlain.

With ten minutes remaining, the home side were awarded a penalty of their own, from which captain Corinne Yorston scored a consolation goal.

Everton Ladies 2-2 Doncaster Rovers Belles

Thursday, 30 May

Doncaster came from behind twice against Everton to gain their first point of the league season.

The hosts went ahead, but were forced to wait for their opening goal, which came courtesy of Nikita Parris in the 49th minute, after Jody Handley had her strike just before half-time ruled out for offside.

Victoria Williams converted a corner in the 66th minute to restore parity, however Everton immediately retook the lead through a header from substitute Chantelle Boye-Hlorkah.

Belles levelled again through a spot kick earned and converted by Cheryl Foster, before making a resolute stand to close out the game.

Liverpool Ladies 3-2 Lincoln Ladies

Wednesday, 29 May

Liverpool moved level on points with Bristol at the top of the Super League after a hard-fought victory over Lincoln.

Carla Cantrell was gifted the opener for the away side in the 9th minute, stealing in to poke Lucy Bronze's under hit back pass past Sarah Quantrill in the home goal.

In the 19th minute Liverpool equalised though, when England forward Natasha Dowie eventually converted after an initial missed kick.

Louise Fors saw her free-kick crash back off the crossbar, before an own goal by Bonnie Horwood in the 47th minute, and a Fors effort in the 57th, put Liverpool two goals ahead.

Precious Hamilton scored for the Lady Imps with 15 minutes remaining, but it turned out only to be a consolation.

Birmingham City 2-1 Chelsea Ladies

Tuesday, 28 May

Birmingham picked up their first league win at The DCS Stadium, while Chelsea fell to their fourth defeat in five games.

After a tentative first half from both sides, Isobel Christiansen gave Birmingham the lead just 12 seconds into the second half, bursting clear of Chelsea's defence to rifle into the back of the net.

The home side doubled their advantage in the 56th minute when Jo Potter scored an early contender for goal of the season from 35 yards.

Chelsea were given hope by substitute Hannah Blundel, who scored with her first touch in the 73rd minute, however the effort proved too little too late.


Source: DSG

Source: DSG